Hayswood Nature Reserve was donated to the citizens of Harrison County in 1969 by Dr. Samuel P. Hays. It contains 311 acres of natural beauty.
In 1973, a portion of the land was developed by the Parks Department and the remaining area was preserved in it’s natural state which has remained unchanged to this day. While all of the park is open to the public, the nature reserve area is kept free of development, maintaining Dr. Hays dream of natural preservation.
The park property is as rich in history as it is in nature. The property was once owned by Henry L. Fabrique, who in 1820, constructed a mill along the curve of Indian Creek. The mill was later sold to John Mauck who continued to operate the mill until the 1920’s. The mill was one of many threatened by Confederate General John Hunt Morgan during his famous raid into Corydon.