In 1975, Noe’s Rest Park was donated to the Harrison County Parks by a former governor of Louisiana, and boyhood resident of Harrison County, James A. Noe. The park is a memorial to his mother and grandparents who had owned a 200 acre farm surrounding the site of the park. Noe’s grandfather, John McRae, was a riverboat captain on the Ohio River during the late 1800’s.
The park was home to the second largest burr oak tree in the U.S. until 1984, when at over 200 years old, it crashed to the ground from old age. When alive, the magnificent tree stood 72 feet tall and was more than 20 feet in diameter. The park is situated beneath a bluff near the Ohio River. At one time, the park acted as a rest area for travelers and workers who traversed State Route 111 to the Army Corps of Engineers Lock and Dam #43 located to the south.