South Harrison Primitive Camping
Primitive Camping Amenities
Choose Any Spot That Suits You!
The primitive camping area is wide open. You can choose anywhere you like in the primitive area for your campsite. When you make a reservation you are telling us you will need some space, but we let YOU choose the spot.
Water is available 5/1 thru Halloween.
Bundles of firewood are $7.50.
There are modern restrooms nearby.
Quiet hours are from 11:00 pm to 7:00 am.
Check-In & Out
Check-in is 2:00 pm, and check-out is 12:00 pm.
Self-registration is expected when the toll house is closed during the regular operating season. The information for self-registration is located on the side of the toll house along with the envelopes and a drop slot. The camper first chooses a campsite not marked by a RESERVED sign, then fills out both portions of the self-registration envelope. The camper removes the stub and keeps it for personal records, places cash (exact change only) or a check in the envelope and drops the envelope into the slot. Management personnel will check campsites each morning. You must have your envelope stub to receive your camping receipt.
- A campsite may be occupied for two consecutive weeks (14 days) ONLY. Sites are for recreational use only.
- No person or vehicle shall enter any areas or use facilities for which fees are prescribed without payment.
- You must be 18 years or older to rent a campsite.
- Any person operating a motorized vehicle much be at least 16 years old.. No motorized vehicles are allowed on walking trails. ALL MOTORIZED VEHICLES MUST YIELD TO PEDESTRIANS AT ALL TIMES.
- Only two vehicles, including camper vehicle, allowed per campsite.
- The carrying, possession, or discharge of firearms, air/gas powered weapons or fireworks are prohibited.
- All park speed limits must be obeyed.
- Trash, waste, garbage, or refuse including gray water discharge, shall not be thrown, scattered, or left upon the ground or discharged into any body of water. Each campsite must be kept in a clean and orderly manner. Please don’t litter, use trash receptacles provided in the park. A dump station is available, see Toll House attendant for use.
- All pets must be kept on a leash and must be attended to at all times.
- Camping shall be in designated areas only.
- There is a maximum limit of six persons per campsite.
- Each campsite is limited to two camping units per site (i.e. one camper & one tent or two tents).
- The campground is to be used for recreational purposes only. Conducting any business activity is prohibited.
- All property including, but not limited to, satellite dishes, TV antennas, equipment, etc. must be kept within the boundaries of the campsite. Attaching equipment to any tree or landscape is prohibited.
- The person registered for camping is responsible for all persons in the party.
- The camping tag should be posted on the campsite identification post so that it is visible from the roadway.
- All persons in the park shall observe the “quiet hours” from 11:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m., during which no unreasonable noise which disturbs the customary use of the camping areas shall be allowed. Unreasonable noises include, but are not limited to: generators, televisions, radios, boisterous conduct, loud pets and unnecessary operation of motor-driven vehicles.
- At all times, radios, televisions, and the playing of musical instruments must be kept at a sound level that does not disturb other campers. Please be courteous to other campers.
- Bands or live musical performances are not allowed in the campground unless prior authorization is obtained.
- Fires shall be built in designated areas only.
- The washing of automobiles, boats or trailers is prohibited.
- Campers leaving the park must show their camping receipt at the Toll House upon return.
- Check-out time for the campground is 12:00 noon except for Sunday which is extended to 5:00 p.m. Please contact the Toll House if you require a later check-out. Check-in time is 2:00 p.m.
- Minimum stay requirements: two (2) nights on weekends (Thursday - Saturday) Holiday weekends three (3) night minimum Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Other holidays are two night minimum
No ATV’s allowed in the park. Motorized vehicles allowed include golf carts, scooters, and handicapped scooters.. Firewood and Ice are available for purchase at the Toll House. Cutting of live trees of any size is prohibited. Gathering of deadwood is allowed in all areas EXCEPT from the Nature Trail. Showers are available for campers at the shower/ restroom facility. Security personnel patrol this park and will enforce all rules; they have been instructed to call the Indiana State Police in case of emergencies or serious problems.
ALCOHOL IS PROHIBITED IN ALL HARRISON COUNTY PARKS